Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Signature Swirl Collar Inspiration

It started as a picture in my head.  I spent one Saturday afternoon looking at line designs and kept coming back to the idea of tendrils, like the ones on sweet peas.  This sketch developed from that idea.

The lines are sexy and sensuous, but elegant.  Sweet peas are innocent and delicate, after all!


Taping with masking tape to secure the design turned out to be a mistake, as the sticky stuff stays on the metal when you peel it off to work the wire weave.  I think I'll try painter's tape (the blue kind) for my next attempt.
I hadn't realized that when I was creating this, I was making it "backwards".  As I wired, I would place it around my own neck in just this position.  When I finished and put it on the mannequin, I realized that it was "backwards" from the position in which it was sketched and created.
Hammering brings out the movement of the lines and adds character and personality to the piece.















Polishing with MAAS, cleaning with Xylol, and two coats of ProtectaClear, then 1 hour in the oven at 180°F.


The finished product.  


ShesSoWitte Signature Swirl Gold Collar in non-tarnish brass, $75




VISIT SHESSOWITTE ON ETSY

No comments:

Post a Comment