Monday, November 19, 2012

Technician or Artist?

Last week someone asked if I felt like more of a technician than an artist, meaning do I spend more time focusing on techniques or designing.  Sometimes it takes me a while to discover what I actually think (I blame it on menopause) but I've been rolling the question around in my mind.  I honestly can't remember how I answered the question . . . again with the menopause . . . but now I think that I should have answered "both".  And here's why.

The ring pictured above is the one I started with, the one that my customer loved.  But she likes mixed metal and she wondered if I could do the same ring in mixed metals. 

To the left is a photo of a piece I created as a result of this special request.  The only reason I was able to create this ring is because I have the technique of how to solder two kinds of metal together in my bag of tricks.  Notice that despite the two different colors of metal (copper and phosphor bronze), the piece appears to be all the same color. 


Also the aquamarine stone - while genuine and the actual birthstone of the client who ordered the ring - was pale and washed out and just plain not working.  Here's where a bag of tricks, or techniques, comes in handy.  I added some texture, oxidized the piece and swapped out the aquamarine for an Amazonite.  The the difference is huge, and the reaction of the client was likewise far more enthusiastic.   

Bottom line?  I don't think the two can be separated . . . to achieve an artistic end requires me to be a skilled technician in enough areas to make my vision (or my client's ) a reality.

1 comment: