Tuesday, September 11, 2012

From Hawt Flashes to Hot Flashes: How the Smartass Sisters Became the Menopause Twins

I spent the morning with my Irish Twin sister, Bean.  She had an appointment with her OB/GYN, a follow-up from her hysterectomy six weeks ago.  We did the deed at the doc's office then headed to Michael's to kill some time before lunch.  I was in dire need of a replacement for the pair of chain nose pliers that snapped in my hands in the middle of working wire last week.  I also found some embossing folders and punches half price along with some scrapbooking scissors that will cut cool edges in sheet copper and make pretty bezels for setting stones. 

I was trying to remember the things I needed without looking at my list, believing that if I couldn't remember it, it must not be that important.  Bean said that she had forgotten to ask her doc about the instant menopause and hot flashes that came as a nice parting gift for playing the hysterectomy game.  She pointed out that that was really important and she had forgotten that, so my theory was bunk.  She's so smart like that . . . . 

We checked out and headed for lunch - first to Applebee's - but it was 10:45 and they didn't open until 11 am.  We spotted a Panera so we headed there, stopping to drool at the pastry counter before moving toward the ordering spot and on to the stuff we're supposed to eat *sigh*

Suddenly as if synchronized mechanisms in our brains had engaged, we both started sweating.  I'm not sure if they had the heat on, or had just turned of the AC since it was a gorgeous 65°F outside or what . . . but it was freakin HOT!  I said to Bean, fanning myself and reaching for a napkin, "Hot Flash".  She said, "No, it's too hot in here!!!"  With barely a word we moved as one for the door. And the cool.  It was completely understood that we absolutely positively would NOT be able to get through lunch in a place that hot.  She called it "old person" hot, like how old people want it warm because they're always cold. 

She said something about the 80's and I said how weird it was that people were now saying "vintage 90's" , but really it was 20 years ago.  It made me think of how different our hanging out together is now compared to 30 years ago.  We had game in those days and one of our favorite games I will code name Hawt Flashes because I am now a grandmother and probably shouldn't embarrass my kids or grandkids with that.  Trust me it was hilarious.  We called ourselves the Smartass Sisters, and I remember laughing so hard I thought I would pee.  Ahhhhhh . . . . Boone's.

But now that we've entered middle age *ahem-late-40's-cough-cough* we don't get a chance to play Hawt Flashes any more. (Which might be for the best . . . prolly not so hawt any more *sigh*)  So we have decided to call ourselves the Menopause Twins instead.  From Hawt Flashes to Hot Flashes, there's no one I'd rather flash with than my Bean. ♥

SO while all that is floating around in my head . . . lookee what I came up with!  Thanks to our Menopause Twins Day Out.  



2 comments:

  1. You crack me up!!! Old people hot.....LOL

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the enamel discs...they are fabulous!

    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl look at you up in the middle of the night! Hope your day was productive yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete