Sunday, September 9, 2012

Torch Fired Enamel: Fun with a Blow Torch!!

I have long believed that women and power tools go together, but I never expected to fall in love with a blow torch! *cue the theme from Flashdance please*

I bought a huge lot of enameling supplies on eBay and originally thought I had to wait for Christmas for a kiln.  But noooo!!  Thanks to the joys of YouTube, I discovered that it can be done with a torch!  So hubby was a sweetheart and brought home a cute little blue one with an auto-click ignition, which sat in the package for over a week (I was still intimidated).  I started with my micro torch, but kept having to refill the butane more often than I preferred, so yesterday I tore open the package a read the instructions. Easy Peasy!!

It's so much fun I felt like a little kid with a new toy.  I resisted the urge to take it to bed with me . . . I am somewhat grown up after all LOL

Here are my first attempts:

I drew lines with a toothpick to mimic the shell

In the quench - he's so iridescent!



I liked how the lines looked, but I wanted to try some small pieces of glass too.

My own pattern for the pansy, requested by my sister.

Sprinkled with ground glass powder in a pale blue.

Finished products!!

No comments:

Post a Comment