Friday, September 27, 2013

Cherry Blossom Flour Sack Inspired Necklace

 So much of what I do feels like playing. Sometimes I like to pull together a pile of related elements and "see what happens".  This necklace is the product of just such an exercise. 
I experimented with using embossing powders on a stamped image on glass which worked pretty great I have to say. I used a small rubber stamp of a Japanese lantern to place the design, then sprinkled gold embossing powder on the glass tile.  I set it on a candle warmer for a few minutes and it melted into place.  It needed something behind the embossing to make the image pop, so I dug out this old flour sack material from my long neglected quilting supplies.  The effect is charming and feminine, and I love the almost garish colors, softened by the silver and age-patinaed phosphor bronze in the handmade chain and wrapped accents. 
If you've never worked with phosphor bronze, I recommend giving it a try.  It has a softer color than copper, a bit like rose gold and it gets a great "old gold" look to it when it oxidizes a bit. (available from Wickwire Jewelry).


Here's the inspiration photo of the materials I started with:

The piece of "carved coral" glass is vintage Cherry Brand pressed glass from Occupied Japan, and I think it works much better than the dangle I have on the piece.  The piece changed so many times in the process of creating it, that somehow I left this bit out.  Definitely needs to be swapped out and photos redone.

Alright then, off to change it out and redo the photos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment